Teaching children the basics of cooking is a great way to broaden their knowledge of nutritious food and nutrition in a practical way. Eating patterns that begin in childhood affect health and wellbeing throughout life, so early education is an important step in starting children with a positive relationship with food, and this begins with cooking classes in primary school.
At your school –
- Is there a large proportion pre-packaged food consumed by students at recess and lunch?
- Would a proportion of students be diagnosed as being overweight or obese?
- Is the food literacy and self-regulation of ‘sometimes’ food lacking?
- Are students missing out on being exposed to home cooking?
- Do students skip meals?
- In the classroom, do students need to increase their attention levels and do they lack energy at the end of the day?
- Is there scope to expand their palette and willingness to try new foods?
- Would students benefit from a multi-faceted, experiential way of learning through practical cooking classes?
Get Kids Cooking @ school is a curriculum aligned, hands-on program that is measurable and builds knowledge, skills and experience that empowers students to instigate good eating habits that will equip them for a healthy future.
As an essential part of their wellbeing strategy, schools are able to provide students with the opportunity to prepare and then eat at school their own healthy meals and snacks.